Friday 4 May 2012


"A house without either a dog or a cat, is a house of a scoundrel."

Portuguese Proverb.



The Bamboo Animal Shelter in Guadalupe in the 


Western Algarve




The Bamboo Animal Shelter in Guadalupe in the Western Algarve is owned and run by Nana van der Velden, who has lived in the Algarve for the past 12 years. Nana secured the rights to the farm in order to fulfil her dream of providing a sanctuary for abused and mistreated animals. in fact the initial goal was to form a dog sterilization service, the to re-home those dogs, but before this could begin.
They were in very poor condition and when Nana took them in the Bamboo Animal Shelter was born.
We currently have 7 donkeys, 1 horse and 32 dogs on the farm, but this number changes on a weekly basis. All the dogs that are with us have been vaccinated and sterilised, courtesy of our local 

Nana and her dog Bamboo, who the sanctuary is named after, get lots of support and assistance from local volunteers, who help with the day to day running of the farm. But we are in need of more.

Take time to browse the site and feel free to contact us.


GIVE & LET LIVE 





VOLUNTEERS
We are constantly in need of volunteers to help out around the farm. Do you love Donkeys and or Dogs? Do you live in or near the Lagos area? Do you have 3 hours spare 1 morning a week or just occasionaly? can spare a little time and love animals? Then we have a very fulfilling and rewarding job for you and we would love to hear from you.

WERE WE ARE
Coming from Lagos.
Travel WEST BOUND on the EN125. After passing the traffic lights at Parque De Floresta (which will be on your right hand side), there will be a sign for GUADALOUPE on the right, followed shortly by a turning off to the right. Follow this road for about 1km then on the right you will see a dirt track leading up to the shelter.

Coming from Sagres.
Travel EAST BOUND on the EN125. After passing the traffic lights for RAPOSEIRA, there will be two signs on the left for GUADALOUPE. Take the road on the left at the SECOND sign. Follow this road for about 1km then on the right you will see a dirt track leading up to the shelter.




CONTACT US

+351 968858924







UNWANTED ITEMS


We are in need of a variety of items to help us in the day to day maintenance of our rescue centre. If you have anything you dont use or can donate anything please contacts us.
EXAMPLES
Dog Food
Leads and Collars
Dog Toys
Power Tools
Gardening Equipment
DIY Equipment (nails, screws, hammers etc)
Sheds & Portacabins
Blankets
Sand, Cement & Gravel






Prayer of a Stray




“Dear God please send me somebody who´ ll care!
I´ m tired of running, I´ m sick with despair.
My body is aching, it´ s so racked with pain
And dear God I pray as I run in the rain,
That someone will love me and give me a home.
A warm, cozy bed I can call my own.

My last owner neglected me and chased me away
To rummage in garbage and live as a stray.
But now God I´ m tired and hungry and cold
And I´ m afraid that I’ll never grow old.
They’ve chased me with sticks and hit me with stones
While I run in the streets just looking for bones!

I´ m not really bad God, please help if you can
For I have become just a “VICTIM OF MAN!”
I´ m wormy dear God and I´ m ridden with fleas
And all that I want is an owner to please!
If you find one for me God, I’ll try to be good
I won´ t runaway and I’ll do as I should.

I don´ t think I’ll make it too long on my own
Cause I´ m getting so weak and I´ m so alone.
Each night as I sleep in the bushes I cry,
And I've got so afraid I'm going to die!
And I've got so much love and devotion to give
That I should be given a new chance to live.
So dear God PLEASE, PLEASE ANSWER my prayer
And send me somebody who WILL REALLY CARE.”






The association "Animal" has started an online petition to urge the government to create a new law to protect animals in Portugal. The association wants the new law to establish responsibilities and duties of the state for the protection of animals, to criminalise animal cruelty and to ban the use of animals in circuses and bull-fighting. The petition needs a minimum of 35.000 signatures for Animal to be able to take the proposal for discussion in parliament.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog
    We are making Bamboo toothbrushes. It as a sustainable alternative to conventional plastic brushes.
    Want to use plastic free toothbrush.
    Buy Bamboo Toothbrush

    ReplyDelete